Calling All Artists!
Thanks for applying, everyone! Artist applications are now closed.
The Art Team is looking for two talented digital artists who can help us create the visuals and artwork that will bring the Legend of Genji to life. Our art tasks are diverse and open-ended, so we’re looking for flexible, creative thinkers who will tackle challenges with positivity and enthusiasm! The Legend of Genji is a volunteer-based fan project that is not associated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, or the creators of Avatar: the Last Airbender or the Legend of Korra. The team does not provide monetary compensation, but we can certainly promote your work, provide exposure to a global digital audience, and help you strengthen your artistic skills. Additionally, our team is comprised of young professionals in a variety of fields, ranging from business consulting to the comic book industry — there may be other ways we can help advance your career! Please see a more detailed description of the responsibilities below.
Open Role: Artist
- Work collaboratively with the team via Trello, Google Drive, and our Discord server
- Develop diverse and imaginative character designs
- Help build a unique visual identity for a 1960s/1970s Avatar universe via prop, fashion, and background designs
- Storyboard comic chapters and animations
- Help with the production of comic pages by digitally inking, flats coloring, shading, or adding special effects.
- Illustrate promotional art
- Provide constructive feedback to team members
- Produce work consistently and on time
- Help promote the project on social media
- Fluent in English
- Self-motivated; Able to proactively seek and sign up for art tasks
- A positive attitude and collaborative mindset
- Ability to contribute artwork and feedback to others consistently
- The ideal candidate would be able to contribute at least 2-3 hours of drawing time every week.
- Photoshop, PaintTool SAI, or other digital art program that can open .psd / .sai files.
- Well-rounded artistic skill set that includes:
- Basic understanding of composition, color, and figure drawing
- Strong digital drawing ability, being able to take on tasks ranging from casual, rough sketches to clean, print-quality artwork
- Lineart with varying line weight — ability to “ink” comic pages
- Sequential storytelling, having a basic understanding of how to casually storyboard a scene in comic or animation form
- Understand and accept that the LoG Team (“the Grew”) is a diverse, inclusive family full of sappy nerds who will shower you with love and affection and obnoxious memes. Our team has become a community, and we hope you’ll join us as both a team member and a friend.
- Management or organizational skills
- Experience with animation or 3D modeling
- Multiple languages (especially Russian, German, and Chinese)
- Social media or WordPress experience
Note: all art you produce will always belong to you and can be used in your portfolios, on your website, on social media, etc. The one caveat is that posts featuring art with possible spoilers must be approved by Macky first.
If you’re interested in applying, please send the following to Macky, our team lead, at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 16th, 11:59 PM EST
- A brief introduction to who you are, what you care about, and your artistic influences
- A link to your portfolio / examples of your work
- Why you’d like to be involved
- Your availability to work on the project and communicate with the team (Example: “I am available to chat every other night for at least an hour” or ” I can flat color 5 backgrounds a month.“ or “I can spend 2 hours sketching character designs a week.”)
- Any other information that you want the team to know! (past experience, what you envision for the project, etc.)