Bored in quarantine? What a perfect time to apply to the Legend of Genji team!!!
The Art Team is looking for two talented digital artists who can help us create the visuals and artwork that will bring the Legend of Genji to life. Our art tasks are diverse and open-ended, so we’re looking for flexible, creative thinkers who will tackle challenges with positivity and enthusiasm!
The Legend of Genji is a volunteer-based fan project that is not associated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, or the creators of Avatar: the Last Airbender or the Legend of Korra. The team does not provide monetary compensation, but we can certainly promote your work, provide exposure to a global digital audience, and help you strengthen your artistic skills. Our team is comprised of young professionals in a variety of fields, ranging from consulting to the comic book industry — there may be other ways we can help advance your career! Please see a more detailed description of responsibilities below.
Open Role: Story Artist (3 open slots)
- Work collaboratively with a diverse, multicultural team via Monday.com, Trello, Google Drive, and our Discord server
- Draft and revise storyboards. Activities may include the following:
- Interpret scripts and create first drafts of storyboards
- Revise storyboards and address character acting, poses, continuity issues, etc.
- Further develop scenes or clean up rough panels
- Re-boarding and restaging from scratch if necessary
- Adapt storyboards to comic pages, animatics, and other formats
- Ensure characters and objects are on model and correctly proportioned
- Help build a visual identity for a 1960s/1970s Avatar universe via prop, fashion, and background designs
- Assist with different stages of the art production pipeline, including digital inking, flats, coloring, special effects, filing, reviewing, and archiving.
- Provide constructive feedback to team members and accept constructive criticism with a good attitude and growth mindset
- Stay up-to-date with all story elements, plot points, scripts, and characters
- Participate in team activities and discussions consistently (text-based discussions, video calls, and voice chats) and produce work in a timely manner, providing progress updates to the Team Lead and other members of the Art Team
- Maintain strict confidentiality on all team materials, websites, notes, scripts, storyboards, concept art, account information, teammate information, etc.
- Act responsibly and maintain a positive online presence on all accounts connected to the project
- Fluent or advanced reading/writing/speaking ability in English
- Self-motivated; Able to proactively seek and sign up for art tasks
- A positive attitude and collaborative mindset
- Strict commitment to at least 6 hours of art activities every week
- Photoshop, PaintTool SAI, or other digital art program that can open .psd / .sai files.
- Well-rounded artistic skill set that includes:
- Basic understanding of composition, color, and figure drawing
- Strong digital drawing ability, must be able to take on tasks ranging from casual, rough sketches to clean, print-quality artwork
- Lineart with varying line weight — ability to “ink” comic pages
- Familiarity with sequential storytelling
- Must be well-versed in the Avatar canon
- Understand and accept that the LoG Team is a diverse, inclusive family full of sappy nerds who will shower you with love, affection, and obnoxious memes. Our team has become a community, and we hope you’ll join us as both a team member and a friend.
- Management and organizational skills
- Experience with animation, storyboarding, and 3D modeling
- Multiple languages (especially Russian, German, and Chinese)
- Basic social media analytics, Google Analytics, SEO
- Experience with web accessibility for individuals with disabilities
- Video editing
Note: Art you produce can be used in your portfolios, on your website, on social media, etc. The one caveat is that posts featuring art with possible spoilers must be approved by the Team Lead before posting. You will be prohibited from selling any materials, art pieces, commissions, or other products related to the Legend of Genji, its characters, the team, etc.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply through this application form and submit all materials by 11:59 PM EST on FRIDAY, APRIL 17th. Late applications will not be considered.
Due to the volume of applications we have received in the past, we now request that individuals complete one or more “art audition” exercises. The application form contains more details/instructions. Be sure to send all attachments, links, and artwork to our email by the deadline above.